Wednesday, February 10, 2016

The Robin’s my Criterion for Tune-


The Robin’s my Criterion for Tune-
Because I grow-where Robins do-
But, were I Cuckoo born-
I’d swear by him-
The ode familiar-rules the Noon-
The Buttercup’s, my Whim for Bloom-
Because, we’re Orchard sprung-
But, were I Britain born,
I’d Daisies spurn-
None but the Nut-October fit-
Because, through dropping it,
The Seasons flit-I’m taught-
Without the Snow’s Tableau
Winter, were lie-to me-
Because I see-New Englandly-
The Queen, discerns like me-
Provincially-
Emily Dickinson
Provincially different “beautiful” Seasons
The Robin is my Criterion for Tune-
Because I grow where Robins grow-
But, if I were born a Cuckoo-
I would swear with him-
The familiar ode rules the Noon-
The Buttercup is my favorite for Poem-
Because, we’re born in Orchard-
But, if I were born British,
I’d spurn Daisies-
Only the Nut may fit October-
Because, through dropping it,
The Seasons go by softly-I’m taught-
Without the Snowy Landscape
Winter, were not true to me-
Because I see-New Englandly-
Queen Victoria sees like me-
With her perspective-
Queen Victoria is cultured and an arbiter for “beauty” in her era. But Emily insists that people’s esthetic depends on where they were born and brought up. She prefers New Englandly landscapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment